Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Goodbye, Flute. Goodbye, Teeth.

It's currently 1:35 A.M. I am hardly ever awake at this time of night. Usually, around 11 or so, I have zonked out into dreamland for the evening.


However, almost two days ago, I had wisdom teeth surgery. Full knock-ya-out anesthesia. Lots of pain medications to take home. Ever since, I've spent most of my time in bed.

Thankfully, I'm a bit of an anomaly and only had three wisdom teeth - two on top and one on bottom. This is a good thing, because the trouble teeth that normally cause people the most pain upon extraction are the bottom ones. This means that, post-sleep-all-I-want-alternating-with-Netflix-for-two-days, I am wide awake at an inconvenient time. After eating semi-solid food for the first time in a couple days (chicken pot pie, yes!), I sat down to work on my website, which I've finished! You can access it here: http://harrisbr2.wix.com/bhflute#!home/mainPage. I bought the domain name bhflute.com, but I found out (after purchasing it, argh...), that I can't transfer it to my website for 60 days. Yay. For now, the strange, non-memorable site name will have to do.

I am actually quite surprised at how quickly I seem to be recovering from wisdom teeth surgery. It's been less than two days, and my energy is coming back to me. My appetite came back earlier and I ate a lot of the soft food in my fridge! I haven't hurt too much...the strong pain pills the doctor gave me took care of the pain yesterday, and I don't have much today. I am hoping to be able to play my flute again within a couple more days!

Speaking of flute, I went to my first Texas Flute Society festival last weekend. I had the privilege of playing in a masterclass and observing the great amount of flute talent there is in Texas. I saw flutists from middle school on up who blew me away with their performances! It made me realize how much great talent there is in the world. The job of each individual is not to be "the best," but to take our unique strengths and use them for good. It is easy to forget this and instead, like I admittedly did for awhile, get overwhelmed by the large amount of talent and feel unimportant.

Jean-Pierre Rampal made a great point about this over-focus on competition when he said, "Nobody is the best. It is impossible to be 'the best.' You can be the best if you are a sportsman, but art cannot be measured. You cannot say, 'He is the best pianist, the best violinist in the world.' It's nonsense."

The last couple days of forced rest have helped me to work through this "small" feeling and realize that all of us are here for a reason. We may not know exactly what it is right away, but God lays it out, step-by-step, one day at a time. I remember a moment in which I really understood this idea. I was out jogging around the lake by my house one morning and took this picture of the sunrise:

Later, I summed up my thoughts about this moment with the following quote: "The size of the Universe should comfort us. It reminds us we are only a small part of a big plan. It also shows us God has our small part under control."

I have a very blessed life, and I am thankful.

Oh, you might be wondering about the "Goodbye, Flute" part of this post title. I left my flute in Texas to be completely overhauled. It never has been in its best playing condition since I bought it, as I got it used and never replaced its old Straubinger pads with new ones. The flute will be gone for 4-6 weeks but should play quite nicely when it returns. Until then, I have a little more teeth recovery to do before playing the studio flute until mine comes back from the shop, good as new.

It's now 2:19 A.M. I'm feeling pretty calm and content with life right now. Of course, that could be a combination of the late night time and the Vicodin the oral surgeon gave me to take. But that's another story...

Goodnight, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment