Sunday, June 23, 2013

New Home, New Hope

After going through a couple scheduling issues, Mom and I FINALLY got the opportunity to drive to Stillwater to find a place for me to live. I had to work until 1 P.M. last Sunday, so we ended up leaving Kearney about 1:30 or so. It's a 6.5 hour drive from Kearney to Stillwater, around 420 miles, so we got there around 8 P.M. It was a nice drive, and it's always great to spend some time talking with my mom. :)

Mom was much more excited about apartment hunting than me. If I had it my way, I would look at one apartment, it would be "perfect," I would sign the paperwork, and spend the rest of the day doing something fun. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Good thing Mom was enthusiastic, as her energy pushed me through the day!

First, we looked at some apartments that were decently close to campus. The first was an expensive dorm-style; I've spent 5 years at an undergrad, and NO MORE, so that was scratched! We looked at 3 more close to campus. One was decent, but a bit expensive for the space. The others weren't so impressive. I went into one, and immediately knew it wouldn't work, because it had one small light on the living room ceiling. I NEED a good amount of light to function!

Apartment #5 was much more promising. It was probably around 3 miles from campus, but it was on the bus route. The complex was quiet, clean, had good upkeep, had a pool, was down the street from a gorgeous park, and was a great price for the 820 sq. feet I would get. I would have been OK with signing on the spot for this view:

...but Mom wanted to keep looking.

Over the course of the day, we probably looked at a dozen apartments, including one house. Finally, I decided the apartment by the lake was my new home!! I passed the credit check, so BOOM!... I will get to move into our apartment mid-August!!! 

After signing, we explored the lake (with running trail - BONUS!) It was a good time. :)


I'm pretty excited about my new home. I've noticed a new hope and spring in my step. I'm almost leaving for a brand new adventure!!




No comments:

Post a Comment